Kitchen Overhaul: The Big Reveal

Are you ready are you ready? Of course you are, duh. I’ve taken way too long to get to these After photos posted and for that, I am sorry. These past few months working on the kitchen have been nothing other than a rollercoaster, but then again, that’s life for ya! Plus, we’re pretty smitten with the end result.

I’ll let the photos do the rest of the talking for me.

To jog your memory, here’s some before and after comparisons:

From the dining room

Before

P1000375

Midway, after the wall was down

blog3d

After

kr10

Another Dining room view progression

beforeandafter

From the back of the kitchen

Before

P1000377

Midway, after the wall was down

blog3c

After

kr7

A look at the sink side

Before

P1000378

Afterkr3

And the (old) cabinet side, now home of the range

Before

blog4b2

After

kr17

And here’s some more shots of the space and some little details:

kr13

Remember that sneak peek a while back?

wpid-IMG_20130227_230851.jpg

=

kr8

CORBELS!

And that other sneak peek..

wpid-IMG_20130308_174309.jpg

=

kr3

CURTAINS 🙂

Here’s a small cozamia framed print along with Vito’s MeatFest (It’s an annual rib smoking competition) trophy.

kr14

Since we apparently now have a pig theme going on, I got my CB2 bookends from my inspiration post as a birthday gift:

kr15

Shoutout to Giada – does anyone else’s man love her? She really does have the best recipes…

Here’s a shot of our undermount sink. We wen’t with a granite composite sink and Moen faucet

kr5

Lights, also from my inspiration post are from IKEA. I painted the cord that hangs down gold with some acrylic paint to make them look a little more special than with its original black cord. Old school filament bulbs also make them seem a little nicer.

kr4

kr6

Here’s a close-up of our beveled subway tile and dark grout. This grout turned out MUCH darker than I had expected (I was going for only a slight contrast with a mid-gray color). We had purchased it a darker color based on reviews (with pictures) that indicated it dries so much lighter. Not for us! I think it had to do with our application technique due to the beveled tile. Anyway, I was upset about the color at first, but it’s kind of growing on me..

kr12

And here’s one of Vito’s most creative ideas yet!

kr11

It’s near the top of the wall – guess what it is? It’s a new cover for our doorbell! He was skeptical of his suggestion to use this cuban cigar box, while I was jealous I didn’t think of it first. He just cut a slot out of the back to slide on top of the doorbell insides, drilled a few holes in the front of the box to allow the sound to escape, drilled the whole thing to the wall and called it a day. So far, it’s been a great conversation starter. (What is that? Why is there a cigar box on your wall?)

So, what do you think? I’m loving getting used to a new kitchen. It’s been fun to throw stuff in the cabinets and then get a real feel as to how each new drawer and cabinet should be used, so that’s a work in progress. I’m also happy we kept most of the serious things neutral. Now, each random item I have, like my bowls or teapot, has its place among the eclectic style and I can easily update the colors when I want. It’s still not 100% complete, but I’m OK with checking this project off as D.O.N.E.

A few things I’m going to add:

• A chalkboard on the small wall below the doorbell cover
  • A new rug in front of the sink
  • A solution to the big black mass that is the side of the fridge (I loathe that the eye is drawn to that as soon as you look into the kitchen)

Since it’s all small, we’ll take it slow and fill in those spots when feeling creatively inclined 😉

What have you been working on lately? Isn’t it the best feeling when that huge project (home, work, or life related) is complete?

Till next time xo,
Malorie

32 Replies to “Kitchen Overhaul: The Big Reveal”

1. Moira
    April 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

What a great transformation! I have the same ceiling lights in my kitchen 🙂

2. Uncle Tommie
    April 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Mal,
    While we paid BIG bucks to have our kitchen overhauled – I LOVE YOURS! And, you did it yourself. Next time we have a big project….we’re calling the “VITOMAL Team”!! Congrats to you both. See you in November.

• April 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM

You guys are awesome, thank you so much! It was definitely worth all of the labor and was also so much fun because we got to design it from scratch. I’ll be over at your place any time you need us! xo

3. Alix
    April 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Weeee looks amazing lovey!! I CANNOT WAIT to see it!!
    (and because we’re like the same person — I chose the samee IKEA lights for our staircase when we redid our upstairs haha)

• April 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

So funny! I remember seeing them and being like OMG we just bought those haha! Thank you thank youu

4. Aunt Diane
    April 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Can’t wait to see it in person it’s amazing! Do
    You love the floor??

• April 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

We love the floor! It’s so great under foot 🙂

5. April 29, 2013 at 10:00 PM

beautiful! love the shelving and the lighting! so pretty!

• April 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Thank you so much!

6. April 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Wowzers!! Your kitchen is FABULOUS!!! Geez, am I jealous…I love your cookbook collection on the little shelf. Shout out to Sushi and the Sri Racha cookbook. ;D

• April 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Thank you so much! My husband is the sushi maker, he’s gotten pretty good 🙂

7. April 30, 2013 at 2:47 AM

First thing I noticed were the tiles they turned out AWESOME. Very nicely done.

• April 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Thank you! They were definitely a gamble but we love them

8. Sue
    April 30, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Holy cow, that’s an amazing redo! Just lovely. Was that a load bearing column in the middle of the room (the brick sided one)?

• April 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Thanks so much Sue! It wasn’t a load bearing wall and the column was actually a chimney that was connected to our old heater and how water heater. We had to replace both of those with high efficiency versions so that we could vent them an alternate way, but we’re so happy we did!

9. April 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Oh my gosh just based on this makeover I’ll be your newest follower! This is stunning(including the dark grout!)

• April 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Thank you so much Sarah!!

10. Tara
    April 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM

On the side of my fridge I’ve got a bunch (25 ish) of magnetic silver jars like these http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=13335656&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=COHVit3M8rYCFQHNOgodDmAAUA

They look really cute with all the colorful spices in them. People tend to freak out when they see them. Also, The Container Store sells spice labels that are clear to put on the lids so you don’t mistake your paprika for cayenne! It was a bit of an investment and took a full day to fill everything with the spices, but worth it! 🙂

• April 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM

That’s awesome Tara! I love that idea. You’re getting some ideas churning here

11. April 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM

In love with this kitchen! Partial to the pigs and love the counter! Great job! Would love for you to share at the Give Me The Goods Link Party{1 party, 5 blogs}!!

• April 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Ha, thanks Amber! Sounds good, would love to share at the Link Party

12. Maria
    May 1, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Totally gorgeous! I am drooling here! Just a couple of questions; You knocked out the wall between, what did you use to make the place structually sound? I can’t see any beams over head. Did you use a steel I-beam in the ceiling cavity? Did you get a structural engineer in before you started? I love it so much I want to copy it! Great job.

• May 1, 2013 at 3:29 AM

You’re too sweet Maria! My husband is an engineer and we also got a couple opinions and since it wasn’t a load-bearing wall we didn’t need to add anything once we took it down. Our home is an old bungalow so we have one main load-bearing wall that spans the length and so long as we don’t mess with that, were safe :). Let me know if you have any other questions!

13. May 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM

You made that into such a beautiful space!! I would use everything in this room as inspiration for our continuing remodel (and will).

• May 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Wow, thanks so much Maria!

14. brittany.a.honeyman@gmail.com
    May 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! xo

15. Dee
    May 12, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Wow – what an amazingly beautiful kitchen! I would never want to leave the house 🙂 I am in love with your counter tops. Can you please tell me about them? I made my husband get up from watching TV to see them and he agreed that they are awesome! I look forward to checking out the rest of your blog!

16. momsgottawork
    May 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Your kitchen is amazingly beautiful…I would never want to leave the house if this was mine! I am especially enamored with your counter tops. Would you please tell me about them? I made my husband get up from watching TV just to see them, and he agreed that they are awesome 🙂 I look forward to checking out the rest of your blog!